Friday, September 4, 2015

Side trip: zombie voodoo dolls

I planned to make some voodoo dolls to include in stress reduction kits I was putting together and thought: you can't make voodoo dolls that look like actual people...if they are for fun, they should be sort of cute and cartoonish. Since we are headed toward Halloween, what could be better than a voodoo doll that looks like a cartoon zombie?


These are really fast and easy to make and don't require measuring or perfect shapes, which makes me an immediate fan.

Here are the materials I used:
    • Gingerbread man cookie cutter
    • Felt - one square for each doll (plus scraps of other colors for embellishments)
    • Yarn or embroidery floss and a needle to hand sew with
    • Batting to stuff the dolls
    • Buttons
    • Push pins
    I traced around a gingerbread man cookie cutter for the general shape and used that for a template.  I cut out two gingerbread felt shapes for each zombie and then added the felt heart, button eye, and thread embellishments. 



    I hand sewed around the edges, stuffing the doll once I got almost all the way around and then closed it up.  I added a few push pins to the heart on each doll to finish them up. 


    No comments:

    Post a Comment